beckerbell: (Default)
beckerbell ([personal profile] beckerbell) wrote2013-01-18 08:06 pm
NSFW

HI AGAIN... AGAIN.

All right, you guys, I'M GONNA DO THIS. I'M GONNA FIGURE OUT A USE FOR MY JOURNAL AGAIN. Because I had a conversation on tumblr tonight about how I really do miss lj/dw and how I always felt more connected to the people here than I do on tumblr. Not that I don't love tumblr! But the people on lj/dw are the ones I'll follow to whatever social media platform they use.

I finally started watching anime again last night--I picked up the first episode of Psycho Pass and I liked it pretty well so far. But I'm pretty easy when it comes to scifi world building stuff (though, generally, I like fantasy world building better) and half the cast inspires that, "Oh no, s/he's really hot. ):" reaction from me, which is always a good sign.

I also want to watch... oh, what was my list again? Magi definitely. And I think my flist said Jormungand was pretty good, too?
anenko: (Default)

[personal profile] anenko 2013-01-19 02:18 am (UTC)(link)
Jormungand, yes!

I'm iffy on Psycho Pass. There's stuff I like, but. . . I'm all burnt out on Pretty Boys in Pain, so some of the appeal is lost on me.
branchandroot: oak against sky (Default)

[personal profile] branchandroot 2013-01-19 03:17 am (UTC)(link)
...you may want to bail? I'm not all that far in myself, but the Big Bad is pretty much a poster-child for "therapy; it helps". Except, of course, for the way that possibility is /completely foreclosed/ in this world, because therapy = brainwashing and vegetable-hood, so he kind of has a point. Only... not. It's one of those.
branchandroot: oak against sky (Default)

[personal profile] branchandroot 2013-01-19 03:33 am (UTC)(link)
*squinches up her mouth* The characters mostly casually accept it, but it's clear that the /show/ knows this is a fucked up system? I don't know if that will be enough, so you'll have to judge for yourself. Our heroine, at least, is pretty clear on something being Very Wrong.
branchandroot: oak against sky (Default)

[personal profile] branchandroot 2013-01-19 03:41 am (UTC)(link)
She's definitely the emotionally intuitive one. And the Big Bad is the one who seems most aware of everything that's fucked up. So there's some very interesting dynamics, yeah! It's hard to tell where they'll /finish/, though. I mean... dystopia, this could still be horrible. On the other hand, at least the signs point to being /aware/ of the horrible.
inkstone: small blue flowers resting on a wooden board (fire)

[personal profile] inkstone 2013-01-19 01:14 pm (UTC)(link)
P.S. The guy who writes Psycho-Pass is the guy who wrote Madoka Magica. So.
anenko: (SKYRIM: archer)

[personal profile] anenko 2013-01-19 09:26 am (UTC)(link)
I love Koko a lot. There are so many amazing, competent characters--and I think every team has at least one woman. And the women are great! They are hardcore warriors, brilliant businesswomen, and scientists. I adored the way Koko's team worked together. (And the music! I kept singing ~her name is Koko, she is loco, I say oh no~ at the most random times.)

Psycho Pass is pretty. But we got to the point where Main Villain and Main Pretty Boy have a ~connection~ and god, haven't I seen this a million times before? There's also all sorts of ~deep thoughts~ about human nature that irritate me.

Therapy is a big (background) part of the show, but it's not necessarily healthy? People are urged to get therapy so that their hue remains clear, which feeds into the whole fucked-up system. And once the system decides that you're beyond help, you are fucked.

I wish the show played with that a bit more. We saw in the first episode that Sibyl makes criminals out of traumatized victims. The rest of the episodes are all mustache-twirling villains. They are bad people doing bad things, even if it is in order to fight a terrible system.

IDK. I guess I want Psycho Pass to be something it's not.
inkstone: small blue flowers resting on a wooden board (a lady loves her guns)

[personal profile] inkstone 2013-01-19 02:23 am (UTC)(link)
Yes, yes, we said Jormungand was good!
inkstone: small blue flowers resting on a wooden board (Default)

[personal profile] inkstone 2013-01-19 02:59 am (UTC)(link)
Zetsuen no Tempest is bombastically ridiculous but lots of fun. It has far more manpain than Psycho-Pass though, which is why I don't think Psycho-Pass's brand of it doesn't bother me because it's miniscule by comparison.
umadoshi: (Glomp (sleepdebtfairy))

[personal profile] umadoshi 2013-01-19 02:41 am (UTC)(link)
I have seen no new anime in ages, so I can't help with that, but hi! Yay! DW post!
umadoshi: (Ahiru determined (fritters))

[personal profile] umadoshi 2013-01-19 03:16 am (UTC)(link)
Email notifications are a thing of beauty. Yes, indeed.
umadoshi: umadoshi kanji (Sumeragi twins (forsakengarden))

[personal profile] umadoshi 2013-01-19 03:58 am (UTC)(link)
As has sadly continued to be the way of things with LJ, it's good to have hopes about the site but no expectations. :/

[personal profile] ukefied 2013-01-19 06:53 am (UTC)(link)
tumblr osmosis

I love tumblr for this; it's reminded me of things I need to read/watch even if I've forgotten them.

But I'm with you: tumblr is something I visit occasionally when I build my queue. I love the visual pretty and the lulz, but it's just not a medium for discussion or deep thoughts. XD

And YES, e-mail notifications! I can never find anything on tumblr.
branchandroot: oak against sky (Default)

[personal profile] branchandroot 2013-01-19 03:21 am (UTC)(link)
Well, the new season has one called The Ultimate Hyoubu Kyousuke, which is looking delightfully silly in between making bad guys explode. Psychic underground organizations with name branding. I mean. *laughing* Also, the UST between the hero-hero and the anti-hero is already making me sparkle, and there appear to be ass-kicking ladies.
branchandroot: oak against sky (Default)

[personal profile] branchandroot 2013-01-19 03:38 am (UTC)(link)
Fresh this season, yeah! I heart Crunchyroll. I have no idea where this is going, but so far it's looking vastly entertaining in a not-too serious way. It's like they're poking fun at their own Serious Business.
aliceylain: ([op] hey pretty)

[personal profile] aliceylain 2013-01-19 11:59 am (UTC)(link)
HELLO! I've been watching Psycho-Pass too because I'm forever a sucker for dystopian future stories. I think it's been done well so far, but I'm a hugely uncritical watcher/reader of media.